6. and 11. March 2018 | Kokra river canyon
Where and when?
- 6. March (16.00 - 19.00): making barrels at the event With dwarf Kranček in the city
- 11. March: at 17.00 the production of barrels in Kranjska house, at 18.00 downhill on the river Kokra
GREGORJEVO - Lovers day
6. and 11. March 2018 | Kanjon reke Kokre
In Slovenia, we have our own version of Valentine’s Day; it is called Gregorjevo (Saint Gregory´s Day) and is linked to an old folk custom announcing that birds are getting married and spring is coming. We send lights down the river Kokra, illuminating the whole canyon beneath the city.
On the eve of St. Gregory's Day it is a tradition to let little boats with candles float down rivers. We will meet at the banks of the Kokra River to say goodbye to short winter days with this custom and to welcome the spring that is coming, bringing with it more sunlight and warmth. Children will have the chance to build their own boats, called gregorčki, on Tuesday, 6 March in the town centre, together with Kranček, the gnome, or on 11 March at 5pm in Kranjska Hiša. Then at 6pm we will light the candles and walk down into the Kokra canyon, where the local fire-fighters will help us release them into the water.
Let’s watch at those harbingers of spring as they float down the river and through the canyon, the first place in town where visible signs of a new life cycle can be noticed.
* St. Gregory's Day event will not take place in bad weather or if the water level of the Kokra River will be too high.