The international airport is only 7 km away from Kranj. The rail connections between Munich and Zagreb as well as numerous bus routes and the proximity of the motorway connect Kranj with central Slovenia, Italy and Austria. Very close to Kranj are the interesting medieval towns of Škofja Loka (10 km) and Radovljica (20 km), the capital Ljubljana (30 km) and the natural pearl of Slovenia, Bled (20 km). From Kranj you can easily reach Postojna Cave (75 km) or Piran on the Adriatic (145 km).
Getting there & away
- By train: Several times a day there are trains to the capital Ljubljana and all major Slovenian towns, as well as to other countries.
- By plane: Kranj – Aerodrom Jože Pučnik 7 km. Direct flights to larger European airports several times a day
- By car: Modern roads to all border crossings. On the motorway from Ljubljana and the airport take the exit Kranj vzhod (East) and if you are coming from the Karavanke tunnel, take the exit Kanj zahod (West).
- By bus: Several times a day there are busses to the capital Ljubljana and all major Slovenian towns, as well as to other countries.
- By bike: Take the side roads with beautiful views (from any direction: Ljubljana, Bled, Škofja Loka, Kamnik and Jezersko).
- Shuttle: You can book your transfer from Ljubljana airport or other locations to Kranj from our partner GoOpti HERE.
- Parking facilities: Stara Sava, Huje, Pri čebelici, Sejmišče (view a map HERE)
- Parking for motor homes: The parking facility Stara Sava has a good infrastructure (power supply, running water supply, place for emptying chemical toilets and releasing waste water).
- Parking fee: You can also pay using your mobile phone or tablet (SMS and the app ParkMeWise): on parking spaces in front of the Kranj Municipality building, on the plateau by the Brioni restaurant, by the Globus building and the library, in front of the Gorenjska banka, in Huje – along the Likozarjeva Street and at the Jelenov klanec car park. More information is available HERE.
- Getting around by bike: You can explore the town and its surrounding area by renting a bicycle at KRsKOLESOM and you can even return it at another location in Kranj. This will make you move more freely, quickly and in an environment-friendly way.
- Car Sharing: Kranj os part of the system of sharing electric cars that you can rent and then return at a specified location. This too is part of our sustainable mobility scheme. More information can be found HERE.
- Kranvaj: The electric minibus will take you on a free ride to all parts of the old town that you wish to visit and it will even come and pick you up. You can call 00 386 31 383 700 or just stop it on the street. It drives all day, every day, from 8am and 7.30pm.
Distances to other cities
- Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia): 25 km
- Vienna: 360 km
- Rome: 790 km
- Zagreb: 160 km
- Budapest: 516 km
Book your transfer from Kranj to other cities from our partner GoOpti HERE.