What is good to know before arriving in Kranj?
- Currency: euro (€)
- Time zone: Central European Time (UTC + 1)
- Telephone: country code for Slovenia +386; local code for Kranj 04
- Police: 113
- Emergency: 112
- Tourist Information Centre: Glavni trg 2, 4000 Kranj (Google Maps)
- KRANJopen – free Wi-Fi internet for locals and tourists (2 hours)
- Free Wi-Fi hotspots: TIC Kranj, Kranj Town Library, most bars, restaurants and cafés
- Galleries and museums are open every day except Mondays. Some galleries, shops and restaurants are closed for holidays, that is on 1 and 2 January / 27 April / 1 and 2 May / 25 June / 15 August / 31 October / 1 November / 25 and 26 December, the Gallery of Prešeren Award Laureates is closed also on Sundays.
- WC: free public toilet – Mestno vstraniše, Glavni trg 17, 4000 Kranj (Google Maps)
- Pharmacy Kranj: Bleiweisova cesta 8, 4000 Kranj (Google Maps)
00386 4 20 16 email@example.com
Tourist Information Centre
At the old town house in the Main Square / Glavni trg (Google Maps), we are full of ideas on how to explore the town and its surroundings or where to taste something delicious or where to go in the evening. Here you can also book a guided city tour, an active holiday, adrenaline sports or winter adventures, choose your favourite souvenirs or surf online.
Kranj House – Kranjska hiša
Glavni trg 2, 4000 Kranj
We are informing you that Tourist Information Center will be closed for public from 1th April 2021 until the cancelation of the closure due to the measures taken against the spread of Covid-19. Find more info HERE.
00 386 4 238 04 50
00 386 4 238 04 51
- Register of tourist guides in municipality of Kranj >> HERE
The international airport is only 7 km away from Kranj. The rail connections between Munich and Zagreb as well as numerous bus routes and the proximity of the motorway connect Kranj with central Slovenia, Italy and Austria. Very close to Kranj are the interesting medieval towns of Škofja Loka (10 km) and Radovljica (20 km), the capital Ljubljana (30 km) and the natural pearl of Slovenia, Bled (20 km). From Kranj you can easily reach Postojna Cave (75 km) or Piran on the Adriatic (145 km).
Getting there & away
- By train: Several times a day there are trains to the capital Ljubljana and all major Slovenian towns, as well as to other countries.
- By plane: Kranj – Aerodrom Jože Pučnik 7 km. Direct flights to larger European airports several times a day
- By car: Modern roads to all border crossings. On the motorway from Ljubljana and the airport take the exit Kranj vzhod (East) and if you are coming from the Karavanke tunnel, take the exit Kanj zahod (West).
- By bus: Several times a day there are busses to the capital Ljubljana and all major Slovenian towns, as well as to other countries.
- By bike: Take the side roads with beautiful views (from any direction: Ljubljana, Bled, Škofja Loka, Kamnik and Jezersko).
- Shuttle: You can book your transfer from Ljubljana airport or other locations to Kranj from our partner GoOpti HERE.
- Parking facilities: Stara Sava, Huje, Pri čebelici, Sejmišče (view a map HERE)
- Parking for motor homes: The parking facility Stara Sava has a good infrastructure (power supply, running water supply, place for emptying chemical toilets and releasing waste water).
- Parking fee: You can also pay using your mobile phone or tablet (SMS and the app ParkMeWise): on parking spaces in front of the Kranj Municipality building, on the plateau by the Brioni restaurant, by the Globus building and the library, in front of the Gorenjska banka, in Huje – along the Likozarjeva Street and at the Jelenov klanec car park. More information is available HERE.
- Getting around by bike: You can explore the town and its surrounding area by renting a bicycle at KRsKOLESOM and you can even return it at another location in Kranj. This will make you move more freely, quickly and in an environment-friendly way.
- Car Sharing: Kranj os part of the system of sharing electric cars that you can rent and then return at a specified location. This too is part of our sustainable mobility scheme. More information can be found HERE.
- Kranvaj: The electric minibus will take you on a free ride to all parts of the old town that you wish to visit and it will even come and pick you up. You can call 00 386 31 383 700 or just stop it on the street. It drives all day, every day, from 8am and 7.30pm.
Distances to other cities
- Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia): 25 km
- Vienna: 360 km
- Rome: 790 km
- Zagreb: 160 km
- Budapest: 516 km
Book your transfer from Kranj to other cities from our partner GoOpti HERE.
Do you live in the digital age? So do we! Check out the apps that will make your experience in Kranj even more pleasant.
With the help of the AR Kranj app, you will experience an interesting interaction between the real and the digital world. You can meet Dr. France Prešeren and take photo with him, you can stand in the pillory, you can see how lively it was in the main square at the beginning of the 20th century, and you can check out what happens when you place your mobile device in the right spots in the town. You can download the app from Google Play or App Store.
The mobile app Vanilla Kranj offers a lot of entertaining and interesting content about Kranj, the Gorenjska region and Slovenia. Get to know the urban legends, the best hangouts and places to relax, bars, restaurants and shops that are definitely worth a visit. You can download the app your mobile device from the Google Play or App Store.