3 - 31 December 2022
Kranj - The Perfect Place For a Cheerful December
In Kranj, the Christmas lights are lit on 3 December, the birthday of the greatest Slovenian poet, France Prešeren, and our municipal holiday. The lines “We who we think well in our hearts”, “Let us raise our glasses to each other” and “Let us all shake hands” are the red thread of the city’s decorations and of Kranj’s Cheerful December. Christmas market and street food, 14 concerts by popular artists, a children’s programme and the town’s ice rink will keep the atmosphere festive until 31 December.
PROGRAMME (Main Square - Glavni trg)
Cultural programme to accompany the Christmas market and to warm our festive hearts.
- 3-30 December (16:00): Christmas market (Poštna ulica; exception: Sunday 4, 11, 18 and 25 December and Monday 12, 19 and 26 December)
- Saturday, 3 December (17:00): Switch on of the Christmas lights with Bassless
- Monday, 5 December (17:00): St. Nicholas Parade and concert by Cici brass and sMehci
- Friday, 9 December (19:00): Concert by Neisha
- Saturday, 10 December (19:00): Concert I have heard someone sing ('Sem slišal peti'), a gathering of octets and small vocal groups
- Friday, 16 December (19:00): Concert Smetnaki, Le Serpentine
- Saturday, 17 December (11:00): Concert Tuba Santas ('Tuba božički')
- Saturday, 17 December (19:00): Concert Moon Time Quartet
- Friday, 23 December (19:00): Concert Tilen Lotrič
- Tuesday, 27 December (19:00): Concert California
- Wednesday, 28 December (19:00): Concert Jan Plestenjak
- Thursday, 29 December (19:00): Concert Miran Rudan InDesign
- Friday, 30 December (18:00): The arrival of Santa Claus
- Friday, 30 December (19:00): Concert ABBA Tribute Band ABBAcz
- Saturday, 31 December (22:00): Concert Marko Vozelj in Mojstri
- 1-31 December: Charity campaign: We think well in our hearts in Kranj (SMS donation of €5 to help families in need, send: Kranj5 to 1919)
Two Christmas trees stand in the square in front of the Prešeren Theatre and in the Main Square, where there is also a fairy-tale forest for children. Wooden sculptures by master florist Matjaž Beguš wind their way through the Old Town, including a wooden nativity scene in the Kokra River canyon. The garden of the Khislstein Castle looks like a fairy-tale. In addition to the animals made of lights for the little ones to enjoy, the castle garden also features a wooden nativity scene by the Kranj artist Miro Rismond. For an unforgettable New Year's photo, you can sit in Santa’s chair.
During the cheerful December, the traditional Christmas market is a must-see feature of Kranj’s Old Town, where you can see products made by local artists and craftspeople. Here, you can buy a variety of goodies and gifts for your loved ones during this festive season. The Christmas lights in the city centre illuminate also the Tastes of Kranj food festival and its delicious dishes in various restaurants. This year, the Christmas market will take place on Post Street (Poštna ulica), from 3 to 30 December.
A STAY IN KRANJ
We invite you to stay in Kranj. In addition to the many different events of Cheerful December, you can experience the city and all it has to offer. You’ll find city experiences, friendly service in local restaurants and shops. The winter invites you to the town’s ice rink, and from Kranj you can head to the nearby ski slopes and toboggan runs, just half an hour away. The comfort of Kranj’s accommodation facilities is a wise choice in December, as every kilometre that you have to drive when you are tired is unnecessary. Take a ride HERE.
Hop to Kranj for a festive winter break, hop to the snow in the Gorenjska region!