In the middle of these castle forests and meadows, the treasury of aristocratic history evolved in the Duchy of Carniola and is today kept alive by high-level events and meetings of leading politicians.
Covering 478 hectares of woods, tree rows and ponds, the park offers rare and therefore even stronger sceneries, where the distant past blends unobtrusively with the new times.
The Renaissance castle was built at the beginning of the 16th century. Over the centuries, it was inhabited by historical figures such as the Zois family, the Yugoslav royal family Karađorđević, the Yugoslavian President Josip Broz Tito and many others.
Nowadays, the castle plays an important role in meetings between heads of state and it is often visited also because of its rich history. There is also an extensive collection of sculptures and paintings by Slovenian artists, interesting furniture from different historical periods, valuable crystal chandeliers and rugs, and a large library.
Just 10 minutes drive from Kranj, this gem seems to be like Slovenia in miniature, you can even see the white Lipizzaner horses, painted beehives and large thatched frames for drying hay.
- 28 May 2023: Day of local food from all over Slovenia (tasting of home-made specialties);
- 27 August 2023: Gorenjska Caterers’ Day (tasting local delicacies from this region);
- 26 November 2023: Advent Fair (a chance to buy some home-made products, to create Advent wreaths and New Year presents);
- Every Sunday from 10.30am to 1.30pm at the Elegans Hotel Brdo: Brunch of local delicacies with a special concept by Tomaž Kavčič (excellent food experience with a Michelin star);
- Every weekend: walks in the Brdo Park, where you will meet many animal and plant species and get a chance to see some extraordinary architecture.
- Location: Predoslje 39, 4000 Kranj (Google Maps)
- Opening hours:
Park Brdo is open every day from sunrise to dusk. Tickets are available at the porter at the entrance to the park.*
- Entrance fee: 5€
- More info: brdo.si
- Contact: Reception of Brdo Estate / tel. 00 386 42 60 12 00 / firstname.lastname@example.org
* In the case of formal state events Park Brdo is closed to visitors, so we suggest that you call this number and enquire prior to your visit: 00 386 42 60 12 00.